Testing Gaia GPS on iPhone 7plus on 5040 peak

I had a trip to 5040 on Sept 2, 2017. One of the purpose of this trip is to test smart phone as GPS for backcountry trips. I relied on Gaia App on an iPhone 7plus for two whole days.

About 5040 
Cobalt lake was unbelievable. Comparing to the summit, I enjoyed the lake more.
The temperature was probably between 20 to 30+ for the three days. We didn't use our tent fly. Air was dry. Washed a shirt. It's dry over night.

About Gaia
I have only seen my friends using GPS handhold devices. I have waited for better options for years. I have always hoped that my smart phone can do the same. I finally decided to test this idea. I have relied on my iPhone 7plus as GPS on this trip, I think Gaia on an iPhone meets my need of a GPS.

My two concerns were, battery life, and robustness.

To save the battery, I turn the airplane mode on, also the phone has power saving mode. Which turned off some background process according to the help message below that setting.

During this trip, I took 20 - 30 photos, recorded a video for about 1 minute. I checked my location at least every 30 minutes during the day. It's also providing time during the trip. I have viewed the video, and photos at least 2 to 3 times.

After two days, my iPhone still have 70% battery remaining.

Packing a backup battery, my first concern is not an issue.

To address my second concern, I ordered a waterproof bag for my phone. It's never going to be completely safe, either a smart phone or a GPS. That's why I carry a map and compass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring framework, Hibernate and MySQL Replication

the Art of Kindling a Light in the darkness of mere being

Exposed Domain Object implemented with Spring Aspect Transaction Control + AspectJ