Manchu Thumb Ring - Cylindrical Thumb Ring

I started practising archery since Feb 2017. My three finger release was unclear. So I started to read about thumb releases. After comparing the common thumb ring and manchu thumb ring, manchu thumb ring is more interesting to me.
- Cylindrical thumb ring is not interfering with hand function as much as the Mughal thumb ring.
- Can be wear on both hands as the same time. I am training to shoot with both hands.
- May have somewhat cleaning release than Mughal thumb ring.
- Works as two rings: for warm and cold weather. Thumb size changes when temperature changes. Since the ring is not exact circle. It's more ellipse. When the thumb is thicker, it works as "A" shown in the drawing below. When temperature is low, and the thumb is thinner, I turn the ring to "B" position. It still grip well.

Here is what I learned in a few weeks.

Resources:
- How to use a Manchu ring.
- This youtube


Size:
- The hight of the thumb ring, it works the best if it matches my second section of my thumb.
- The inner diameter of the end is slightly bigger than the diameter at the string end. I find it reduces the pain.

- Tuning / twisting the drawing hand, it's avoiding the string pressing a nerve in the middle of my thumb. It's also securing the ring on the string.

- The string is positioned at the edge that is close to the palm. It touches my thumb during the pull, but only with a small amount of pressure. The pressure was created by the twist of the draw hand. The count force of the string comes from the bended first section; the pressure of the top of the thumb joint; and friction between the thumb and the wall.

- My thumb hurts. It was painful at first. It's getting better as my thumb getting used to the stress. Blood was pushed to the back of the first section of my thumbs. As you can see in the picture. I started with 20lb draw weight, then 30lb. It was too much pain at first couple of days, I wasn't draw 30lb at the beginning. After about a week, kept trying every day, 30 lb wasn't a problem anymore. I don't have heavier bows. It should be alright to increase the weight. People has been drawing 100lb in history. 

 


- This is what worked for me. I find a branch from my fire wood, cut 2 piece off that branch. 




- Tools I used. 

- I tried polymer clay. It was easy to find out what works the best for you. But it's not durable. After dropped a few times, they all cracked under the draw weight.
It's much easier to make and experience with. If this is what you want, you can put in thread to enforce the polymer clay. I was thinking about using floss. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring framework, Hibernate and MySQL Replication

Exposed Domain Object implemented with Spring Aspect Transaction Control + AspectJ

the Art of Kindling a Light in the darkness of mere being