Original Wisdom by Robert Wolff

It is one of those books that will change how you see the world.

This post is about a few thoughts I had during and after reading it. You can easily find out more about this book. Many people has wrote about it. They mentioned what Robert Wolff talked in this book. I will not waste everybody's time here.

It's a beautiful book. It was a peaceful read. No struggle, not emotional stretches, just a peaceful walk on a forest trail. Robert Wolff, the author had the book started in a soothing and friendly tune. It became more interesting towards the later few chapters. The book had painted a sweet, hart warming picture of Malaysian aboriginal, Sng'oi people. That is what a community would look and feel, when all were awakened. Although I couldn't stop thinking, it maybe even better, if they had modern med care.

Among all the things I learned, the most important one is awakening, obtaining one's true freedom is simple. It does not have to take life-after-life's effort.

Original Wisdom reminded me what an "awakened one" is described in Buddhism and Taoist. What was said in Buddhist teaching, the early people was in a more awakened state. Their mind was less deluded. It was later, that the development had gradually bring more "cloud" to human mind.

Here is a few sentience from the book, on Page 123:
... A new world unfolded for me and in me: I felt I was part of the scene, not just an observer. I belonged as much as the rotting mangoes, or the birds.
When I tried to inventory all I saw, I lost that new awareness. And when I tried to name something I saw or felt or heard, I lost it too. All I could do was experience. 

If you are familiar with any Buddism teaching, Zen, Theravada, Tibetan  Sutra, or Tantra, all of them are describing the similar awakening.

The second most important thing, it removed a doubt I had. A question has been sitting in my mind, not making a big fuss, but still dragging me in a way. The mysterious thing called clairvoyance, and psychic, was it some kind of folk believes, or superstitious? They were often mentioned with religions. I am not clear about the attitude what each religion holds toward these mysterious phenomena. But it definitely undermined their credibility to me.

I googled Robert Wolff. What he said in the book is trust worthy - the "knowing" of the Sng'oi people, and how the author awakened to the "knowing". Although my question has not been answered, it's a relief to drop the question. It is not a question anymore. It doesn't matter. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring framework, Hibernate and MySQL Replication

the Art of Kindling a Light in the darkness of mere being

Exposed Domain Object implemented with Spring Aspect Transaction Control + AspectJ