How to be productive, and still have juice for life

I am interested in to being productive. Seeing results satisfies me.

Many of my friends are amazingly productive, done admirable things. These are a few things I have learned these years.

No matter who you are, I believe your Habits are who you are.

If being productive is what you want, simply build up the habits of productive people. Here are some habits of mine.

Wake up on the right side of the bed
A simple morning routine is a habit you should all have. Some call it a morning ritual.

I didn't understand why my mornings were often stuffed with chaos, and struggles. For many year, my morning were not much different from my collage days, except with more chances for it to go on a wrong track. My life is simplified after I finally had my routine.

I meditate a while for if I can get up early. I have the same, breakfast for most of the days now. Oatmeal, a handful of mixed nuts, and dry berries. Compares to days without breakfast, my brain works on a higher frequency with breakfast. The day appears longer in a good way, I have more works done out of the same amount of time.

Plan my day
Once at work, I plan my day. By going through my personal backlog, and calendar. A couple of tasks and a rough time for each is good enough.

Through out the day, the list may change. Items might be added, or removed. Once they are completed, they will be checked off.

I archive the list daily. The archive gives me a history when needed, also a track of my progress.

Be effective with emails
There are many ways to be effective with emails. I do a personalized "getting things done" and "Inbox-zero". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9UjeTMb3Yk

Work in 25/5 minute cycles
Focus and work hard for 25 minutes, then reward yourself and take a break for 5 minutes. A stretch, catch up with someone on his work, a new cup of coffee, or anything that works for you. This is Pomodoro technique.

Within the 25 minutes burst, it's much easier, less guilty, to not check emails, and messengers. It's only going to be 25 minutes in the worst case, how urgent an email can be. It's easier to focus. Any distractions, things or thoughts can wait for 25 minutes.

Talking to someone or discussing some work demands less energy. I stop my timer whenever a discussion starts, I will stop the timer and continue on my 25 minutes burst after.

Focus! No multi-tasking
Multi-tasking is not productive. Try it yourself.

Full screen mode. Work with full screen. It's more effective than with a dozen windows fighting for your attention.

Before sleep
Before I goto bed, it is time for a little contemplation. I write done something.

It can be some thoughts or little realization.
It can be what I am grateful, what I liked, who I need to be thankful. I didn't think of looking up the research on gratitude until I ran into one article. After glancing through it, I thought now I know how to have a good sleep.

Summary

These tips are repeated and explained by many. They may be interesting, or ridiculous to you, but you can only find out what works for you by experiencing them. Pick a few things and do it for a week, or 30 days. They may become what define you.



Some links I kept:
6 simple rituals reach your potential every day
4 practice lessions from Jerry Seinfeld master craftsman
The Science of Productivity
30 habits that will change your life
10 things you must give up to move forward

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring framework, Hibernate and MySQL Replication

the Art of Kindling a Light in the darkness of mere being

Exposed Domain Object implemented with Spring Aspect Transaction Control + AspectJ