WoW Ubuntu gusty 64 setup

I received a WoW invitation from a friend. Downloaded the install package from their website. First thing I tried is install it on my VM. That is a win xp guest of my Ubuntu amd64 gusty. Which did not work for some reason. The WoW crashes.

I talked with my friend again, and find out that "many" uses Wine to run it. It's a surprise to me. Wine wasn't friendly at all back to 5 years ago. The open source world did so many great things.

>sudo apt-get install wine
>winecfg

I set the virtual desktop to 1280x900 as another friend suggested.

>wine ./Installer.exe

Everything seems okay except the font is a little funny in that window. After everything is done, I try to start the WoW from the installer. It failed. Before that it was trying to install a html engine. That's where it failed.

My heart sink a bit. I tried to run the WoW from it's ~/.wine/drive_c/..... /WoW.exe location. It's like a charm. The application stated, with a small problem. The mouse "hand" is gray. I sure can live with a gray hand.

It then want to download a patch. Everything seems okay until it says "waiting for files to close". It stop there and does nothing. Did a little search on this, find out that running the patch exe file directly works.

It seems okay at first, but will froze after a couple minutes playing. I think I better use Ubuntu 7.0.4. Hope I can get some luck there. 8-]

First I add the repository key:
>wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Then change the /etc/apt/sources.list file. Added:
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt feisty main #WineHQ - Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn"
deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt feisty main #WineHQ - Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn"
It's from file:
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/feisty.list
>sudo apt-get update
>sudo apt-get install wine

>wine WoW.exe -opengl

Everything really worked this time. Thanks Wine development team, thanks to Ubuntu development team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring framework, Hibernate and MySQL Replication

the Art of Kindling a Light in the darkness of mere being

Exposed Domain Object implemented with Spring Aspect Transaction Control + AspectJ