I had a trip to 5040 on Sept 2, 2017. One of the purpose of this trip is to test smart phone as GPS for backcountry trips. I relied on Gaia App on an iPhone 7plus for two whole days. About 5040 Cobalt lake was unbelievable. Comparing to the summit, I enjoyed the lake more. The temperature was probably between 20 to 30+ for the three days. We didn't use our tent fly. Air was dry. Washed a shirt. It's dry over night. About Gaia I have only seen my friends using GPS handhold devices. I have waited for better options for years. I have always hoped that my smart phone can do the same. I finally decided to test this idea. I have relied on my iPhone 7plus as GPS on this trip, I think Gaia on an iPhone meets my need of a GPS. My two concerns were, battery life, and robustness. To save the battery, I turn the airplane mode on, also the phone has power saving mode. Which turned off some background process according to the help message below that setting. During this trip, I...
Comments